Joshua J. Butera is Senior Counsel with Pannone Lopes Devereaux & O’Gara LLC and a member of the Corporate & Business Law, Municipal Law and Cannibis Law Teams. He concentrates his practice assisting clients in the areas of corporate compliance, administrative and regulatory law, policy and contract law and other general private and public sector issues. He is a skilled legal researcher and writer and has assisted in the representation of individuals, private organizations and public agencies on numerous legal matters before state and federal courts. He also provides business advice to corporate clients and negotiates complex transactions. For his professional excellence, Attorney Butera was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 as a Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch in the practice area of Corporate Law.
Attorney Butera is a former Special Counsel in the Office of Governor Gina Raimondo, where he conducted legal research and analysis on a wide range of legislative issues and public policies. He drafted briefs before the Rhode Island Supreme Court and Superior Court and prepared FOIA responses and other memoranda. In this position, he also advised senior staff on legal matters and policies related to the Rhode Island Department of Transportation, the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority and the Rhode Island Airport Corporation. Prior to his public service for the State of Rhode Island, he worked in the litigation department of an international law firm representing clients in numerous areas of the law including contract law, the Fair Housing Act and the False Claims Act. He also represented pro bono clients regarding landlord/tenant disputes, asylum cases and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
Attorney Butera earned his J.D. from Boston University School of Law, cum laude, and was the Managing Editor of the Boston University Law Review. He is a Melville M. Bigelow Scholarship awardee and a recipient of the G. Joseph Tauro Distinguished Scholar. While in law school, he served as a judicial intern for the Honorable John J. McConnell, Jr. of the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island and in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts. He graduated from Brown University with a B.A. in Political Science. Attorney Butera is admitted to practice law in Florida, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Cannabis Law
- Municipal Law
- Public Policy Law
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, 2023
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 2015
- Honors: cum laude
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- B.A. – 2009
- Study Abroad, London School of Economics, 2007-2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Children’s Workshop Foundation, Board of Directors
- Represented a large manufacturing corporation in a complex M&A transaction that involved a multi-disciplinary team approach to successfully close on a ~$50MM acquisition.
- Represent software company in $25 million equity sale.
- Represent renewable energy company in $17 million purchase of real property for development into solar farm.
- Bond counsel to municipality for $2.8 million bond refunding.
- Represent bank in purchase of $165 million grant anticipation bonds.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Estate Planning & Administration
Real Estate & Commercial Lending
Receive Our E-News
“What is extremely unique about PLDO is that they are great lawyers who actually care about me and my business. They make me feel as if I am the most important client in the firm and I am certain that all of their clients feel the same way. ”
President, The Droitcour Company